+44(0)2081445588 / +44(0)7535959450
info@LSLegaLUK.com liliya_scott

LS Legal News Bulletin

Frontier Worker Permit

Frontier Worker Permit

Wednesday 3rd February 2021

This new route was launched on 10 December 2020 and is an option for EU and Swiss workers who have worked in the UK on or before 31 December 2020 to continue entering the UK for work until 30 June 2021. If you wish to enter the UK after this date, you will need to hold a frontier worker permit to enter the UK for work from 01 July 2021.

Can I apply?

You can apply if:
• you are an EEA, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
• you normally live outside of the UK
• you have started working in the UK before 31 December 2020 and you have continued working in the UK once every 12 months since the start (this can be self-employment, employment or being a worker).
You must live primarily outside of the UK, meaning that you have spent less than 180 days in total in the UK in any 12-month period.

What is "working"?

Work is a broad concept so every case will have to be accessed on its own merits. You need to show that you carried out 'genuine and effective' work in the UK. However, attending business meetings or negotiating deals is unlikely to constitute genuine and effective work.

How much does it cost?

There is no fee for applying under the Family Worker Permit route. You can apply inside or outside of the UK.

What are the benefits?

You can work, rent and access benefits and services in the UK, for example NHS. You can also change jobs from being employed to a self-employed person in the UK.

What are the downsides?

The downside is that you cannot settle under this route, meaning you will not be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain and subsequently consider a possibility to apply for British nationality (naturalisation).

Why should I apply?

All EU nationals starting from 01 July 2021 will have to have a pre-settled/settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, a visa or any other permit to work in the UK or enter the UK. You may apply under the EU Settlement Scheme if you have started living in the UK before 31 December 2020.

How long is the Frontier Worker Permit for?

If approved the Frontier Worker Permit will be valid for five years for workers and the self-employed (two years or six months in certain other circumstances).

What do I need to apply?

You will need to prove your employment or self-employment activities (such as payslips or employment agreement) as well as that your primary home is outside of the UK (such as a proof of address). There is some other documentation that would need to be gathered, such as proof that you have worked before 31 December 2020 in the UK and your travels outside of the UK.

Can my family come?

Your family members cannot apply under this route however, they may be eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme and/or Family Permit.

If you are interested in applying under the Frontier Worker Permit route or under the EU Settlement Scheme, please contact LS Legal Solicitors at info@lslegaluk.com and we will be happy to assist you further.