+44(0)2081445588 / +44(0)7535959450
info@LSLegaLUK.com liliya_scott

Student Visa

The UK has some of the oldest, highest-ranked and most respected universities globally, which makes it one of the most popular destinations for international students.

If you are 16 or over and want to study at a higher education level, you will need to apply for a Student visa which replaces the Tier 4 Route.

You must have an offer from a university or college before applying for a visa. Your university or college will then be able to give you a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS). For your CAS to be valid, your chosen institution needs to be approved by the UK government as a licenced sponsor.

You can apply for a student visa up to six months before your course starts.


You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you:

• have been offered a place on a course by a licensed student sponsor;
• have enough money to support yourself and pay for your course - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances;
• can speak, read, write and understand English;
• have written consent from your parents if you are 16 or 17.

If you are 16 or 17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK, you may be eligible for a Child Student visa instead.

Course Requirements

You can apply for a visa to study the following courses:

• A full-time course that leads to a qualification below degree level (RQF level 3, 4 or 5) with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study;
• A full-time course that leads to a qualification that is at degree level or above (RQF level 6, 7 or 8);
• A full-time course that is at degree level or above (RQF level 6,7 or 8) that is equivalent to a UK higher education course and is delivered as part of a longer course overseas;
• A part-time course leading to a qualification that is above degree level (RQF level 7 or above);
• A recognised foundation programme for postgraduate doctors or dentists (if you have finished a recognised UK degree in medicine or dentistry, received that degree from a registered student sponsor and spent your final year and at least one other year of studies leading to that degree in the UK);
• An English language course (at level B2 or above) in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.

You can also apply for this visa if you take up a full-time elected position as a Student Union Sabbatical Officer.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

Once you have been offered an unconditional place on a course of study, your education provider will send you a CAS reference number. You must apply for your Student visa within six months of receiving your CAS. You cannot use a Confirmation of Acceptance used in a previous application regardless of whether it was successful or rejected. The education institution must not have withdrawn its offer.


You will need to prove that you have sufficient funds to pay your course fees and support yourself financially in the UK.

Course Fees

Unless you fall within one of the special categories listed below, you will need sufficient cash funds available to pay any outstanding course fees for one academic year of your course (up to 9 months).

Any course fees paid to your student sponsor can be offset against the funds required. Any fees paid must be stated on your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies, or you must provide a receipt issued by your student sponsor confirming the amount paid. Any accommodation deposits you have paid, up to a maximum of £1,256, can also be used to offset the funds required.

Living Costs

Unless you fall within one of the special categories listed below, you will need sufficient cash funds to meet your living costs in the UK.
If you are studying in inner London, you will need £1,334 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of nine months. If you are studying elsewhere in the UK, you will need £1,023 for each month of your course, up to a maximum of nine months.

You will need to have held the money for at least 28 consecutive days ending not more than 31 days before your Student visa application date.

Additional funds may be required if you have dependents applying at the same time.

English Language Requirements

You will need to read, write, speak and understand English to at least CEFR Level B2 (if studying at degree level or above) or CEFR Level B1 (if studying at below degree level).

You will usually need to pass a Secure English Language Test (SELT) with an approved provider. However, nationals of certain majority English speaking countries are not required to prove their English language ability, nor are persons who have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree taught in English in one of these countries.

Tuberculosis Test

If you are applying from outside the UK, you may need to obtain a tuberculosis test certificate unless you are applying from an exempt country.

Most immigration applications have strict factual and evidential requirements that are not necessarily straightforward to comprehend or satisfy. LS Legal Solicitors are well versed and highly experienced in providing advice and assistance on immigration applications. We appreciate that many of the requirements may seem overly complex and onerous. However, we guarantee to make your experience as smooth and stress-free as possible.

For the quickest response, please WhatsApp or call us on +44 (0) 75 3595 9450. You can also contact us via email at info@LSLegaLUK.com or use the contact form to discuss your requirements further or arrange an appointment with one of our experts.