LS Legal News Bulletin
Can I submit an application under the EU Settlement Scheme even though the deadline has now passed?
Monday 2nd August 2021
We are delighted to inform you that, at present, late applications can be submitted but will only be accepted if there are reasonable grounds for missing the deadline.
Therefore, to assess whether your circumstances could count to reasonable grounds, we will need to know what prevented you from applying before the deadline and if you can provide evidence confirming this. Examples of circumstances that may be considered as reasonable grounds include:
- A parent, guardian or other permitted carer did not apply on time for a child under the age of 18;
- Lack of capacity, understanding or ability to apply;
- Serious medical condition or undergoing significant medical treatment before or around the time of the deadline;
- Prevented from applying due to being a victim or the family member of a victim of modern slavery, trafficking, domestic violence or any other form of controlling relationship;
- Ceased to be exempt from immigration control; and
- Not aware that you needed to apply as you hold a biometric residence card, other residence document or visa that is valid or was valid on 30 June 2021;
The above list is not exhaustive. You could rely on other compelling or compassionate reasons, including not knowing you had to apply, not having access to or using a computer, living overseas, not having a permanent home, or the COVID-19 restrictions. There is not a definitive list, but rather your circumstances and evidence need to be assessed.
It is important to try and make an application as soon as possible rather than delaying it further, as failure to do so could impact your future in the UK.
We hope this information has been useful. It would be our pleasure to assist you in your possible EU Settlement Scheme application.
Please feel free to email us your questions at info@LSLegaLUK.com or give us a call at +44 (0) 75 3595 9450 to discuss your legal matter.